Saturday, March 18, 2017

More Research...

Hi!


Welcome back to The Journey

Today I will be talking to you about research on Latino stereotypes. 

Throughout different movies, Latinos are represented in many ways and based on the research I found, those ways are not always good. The article "Five Common Latino Stereotypes in Television and Film", describes the main stereotypes of Latinos in movies and they are definitely not always true. 

The one stereotype that stood out to me for our project was about Latinos appearing as immigrants. Since our story might have to do with a Hispanic, immigrant woman, I thought it would be important to look up information on how those characteristics are shown. For most roles, directors want Latino actors to have strong, thick accents. In addition, they want people who have "darker features" and "tanner skin" which are characteristics that are not at all true for all Latinos. Examples of that are me and my partner, Vanessa because we were born in Venezuela and we don't have dark features and tan skin. While reading all of this articles I was just amazed at how stereotypical the film industry is and how it disregards cultural diversity between races. 

The information I found is useful for our project during the process of choosing our main character. Depending upon whether we want to follow these stereotypes or not, I think it's important that we make our decision based on what our audience would want. Since young adults and adults from the ages of 17-21 are usually more open minded and leaned towards new things, I think it would be a good idea to break some of the stereotypes. Obviously not all of them but portraying a different outlook on Latinos would be something unique and that it what I would like for this project. 

I feel like we're progressing over time and that's great! 

Next up will be the storyboard...TAN, TAN, TAN


Latino Portrayals In The Media. (n.d.). Retrieved March 18, 2017, from http://www.umich.edu/~ac213/student_projects07/latinoad/Latinomedia.html


Nittle, N. K. (n.d.). Five Common Latino Stereotypes in Television and Film. Retrieved March 18, 2017, from https://www.thoughtco.com/latino-stereotypes-in-television-and-film-2834654

No comments:

Post a Comment