Sunday, March 12, 2017

Coming of Age Sub-genre

Hello, hello once again!

On my last post, I talked about who our target audience is and also about some topics for the film opening. Now I will be telling you everything about the genre we have chosen. Vanessa and I exchanged information about which genres are the most common for us to watch and also she had found some information about Drama being a prominent genre for teens and young adults (17-21 year olds). We decided to go for a subgenre of Drama that is called the Coming of Age genre. 

I began my research by looking for the demographics of teens that go to the movies. By looking for such characteristics, I would ensure that our film opening would call the attention of our target audience and later be the reason why they would go to the movie theater and watch it. I encountered myself with an article that described the increase in attendance to movie theaters by teens aged 12-17. Even though our range of target audience is from 17-21 it is important to consider the fact that teens have the desire to go to the movies more and more often. The article mentions how in 2015 teens went to the movies 7.2 times on average in comparison to 6.5 times in 2013, which evidently shows how the movies created have become more appealing to them. Our plan is to make a unique film opening depicting various aspects that popular films have.

In relation to the subgenre "Coming of Age", I found that it is related to the personal growth of an individual in life through multiple situations. For the most part, those situations tend to be related to struggles or pain until they build up a self-awareness in the character. An important aspect to consider while making the film opening is the mood we want to create and how we want to make the audience feel. I think we should lean towards a theme of sadness that shifts into content and then reaches high levels of personal growth. 

While researching for movies that depicted characteristics of the Coming of Age genre, I found one that has succeeded at pleasing young audiences. The film, The Perks of Being a wallflower, was released in 2012 and it is a movie based on the novel by Stephen Chbosky. This movie entails the story of a young teenage boy who, after trying to overcome personal issues, he achieves happiness with the help of new friendships and new experiences. As I researched for teen opinions of it, I found an essay made by a 15 year old that I thought is important to include in this process. The essay shows how much a theme of personal growth can affect the life of a young person. 

After finding some information about the Coming of Age genre, I feel like with a little more research, Vanessa and I could create a story that would be successful in this genre. By the next few posts, I would like for the storyboard to be completed and for the plan of the recording of the film opening to be started. 

Bye, bye for now!


Characteristics. (n.d.). Retrieved March 12, 2017, from http://www2.nkfust.edu.tw/~emchen/CLit/Realistic_fiction_characteristics.htm

Hibawot, D. Q. (n.d.). Perks of Being a Wallflower. Retrieved March 12, 2017, from http://www.teenink.com/opinion/movies_music_tv/article/681665/Perks-of-Being-a-Wallflower/

McClintock, P. (2016, April 12). CinemaCon: Who Says Teenagers Don't Go to the Movies? Retrieved March 12, 2017, from http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cinemacon-who-says-teenagers-dont-883240

No comments:

Post a Comment